Any child applying for admission to kindergarten in Hillel Community Day School shall meet the age criteria for admission that prevails in the Brighton Central School District. Children whose date of birth is within 40 days of this date may be considered for admission at the principal's discretion, subject to meeting any or all of the following additional requirements:
• For students who may not meet the Hillel Community Day School guidelines, a pre-admission test may be required, at the discretion of the principal.
• Submitting recommendations from the child's pre-school teachers, if applicable, and/or consultation between appropriate Hillel Community Day School staff and the pre-school teachers.
• Interviews of the child and parent(s) by appropriate Hillel Community Day School staff members.
It is the responsibility of the principal to evaluate this additional information, and determine if the child should be admitted to Hillel Community Day School.
Note: At this time the policy of the Brighton Central School Board is that a child must be 5 years old prior to December 1 of the school year in which he/she starts kindergarten in order to be considered for admission to kindergarten.
First through Eighth Grade Admission
Students in these grades are eligible for enrollment; based on a meeting and approval with the principal and appropriate teachers.
Class Grouping Policy
Hillel Community Day School's philosophy is that the best educational environment is one which replicates, whenever possible, the Jewish community and environment in which we live. Children learn best how to participate in the world around them, and how to communicate and learn with and from all people, when placed in a learning environment, which includes differing personalities, abilities, backgrounds, and cultures.
Considerations in determining class groupings include:
• Heterogeneous and homogenous groupings by ability and achievement
• Resources available for tutorial and enrichment
• Matching student learning style with teaching style
• Groupings which foster positive social growth and minimize negative social interaction
• Diversity of religious, racial, ethnic and economic backgrounds within each class
Hillel Community Day School | 191 Fairfield Drive | Rochester | NY | 14620 | Phone: 585.271.6877 | Fax: 585.473.8039
Directions to Hillel School